Grumman Wildcat FM2 – G-RUMW
|Our Wildcat was built by the General Motors Corporation (Eastern Aircraft Division) at Trenton, New Jersey for the US Navy in 1945, and accepted by the US Navy on the 24th July 1945. It was immediately placed into storage at Tillamook Naval Air Station, Oregon. The aircraft was subsequently struck off US Navy charge on the 28th February 1946.
The aircraft went through a series of private owners between 1946 and 1975, and in 1975 it was placed on display at the Chennault Air Museum, California. This is where it stayed until 1992, when it was moved to Chino for overhaul to airworthy condition by Fighter Rebuilders. The first post restoration flight took place in January 1993.
The aircraft was acquired by The Fighter Collection in 1993 and shipped to Duxford in April of the same year. It currently wears the scheme of a Fleet Air Arm Wildcat on board HMS Tracker in 1944.
Type: Grumman FM2
Maximum Take off Weight:3402kg
Engine: Wright Aeronautical Corp R1820-56WA
Propellor: Curtiss Electric C-53250